The Lion King is a 2019 American computer-animated musical film distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures and directed by Jon Favreau. It is a It is a photorealistic remake of the Disney animated film of the same name in 1994.
Why It RocksEdit
- Like Dinosaur, it combined groundbreaking CG-animated characters with live-action backgrounds.
- It was Jon Favreau's very first fully-animated film.
- The updated songs are great.
- The CGI-animation received its grandest form.
- Scar's realistic design was pure terrifying.
- Great voice acting.
- It was the best Disney animated movie, in the infamous Disney/Fox era.
- Most of the scene are recreated shot-for-shot from the 2D-animated film.
- A pure heartwarming ending.
- The fight between Simba and Scar are a lot more dramatic than the original 1994 film.
- The death of Mufasa was more heartbreaking than the original.
- Some of the scenes are epic and dramatic for the PG rating.
- Timon and Pumbaa are improved from the original.
Bad Qualities Edit
- It is criticized by critics for being a cash cow.
Box office Edit
As of October 20, 2019, The Lion King has grossed $543 million in the United States and Canada, and $1.109 billion in other territories, for a worldwide total of $1.652 billion.
The film had a global debut of $446 million, the ninth largest of all-time and the biggest opening for an animated film. On July 30, 2019, the film grossed $1 billion dollars, becoming the 42nd film to ever reach the milestone, as well as fastest animated film to gross $1 billion, doing so in 21 days, surpassing Incredibles 2 (46 days). The Lion King is the highest-grossing animated film of all time, the highest-grossing musical film of all time, the highest-grossing remake of all time, the highest-grossing Walt Disney Pictures film of all time, the highest-grossing film of Favreau's career, the second highest-grossing film of 2019, and the 7th highest-grossing film of all-time
Critical response Edit
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 53% based on 386 reviews, and an average rating of 6/10. The website's critical consensus reads: "While it can take pride in its visual achievements, The Lion King is a by-the-numbers retelling that lacks the energy and heart that made the original so beloved – though for some fans that may just be enough." Metacritic gave the film a weighted average score of 55 out of 100, based on 53 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale, while those at PostTrak gave it an average four out of five stars.