The Angry Birds Movie 2 (also referred to as The Angry Birds 2 Movie or just simply Angry Birds 2) is a 2019 computer-animated comedy film based on Rovio Entertainment's Angry Birds video game series, produced by Columbia Pictures, Rovio Animation, and Sony Pictures Animation,[N 1] and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. It is the sequel to The Angry Birds Movie released in 2016.
Red, Chuck, Bomb and the rest of their feathered friends are surprised when Leonard suggests that they put aside their differences and unite to fight a common threat. Aggressive birds from an island covered in ice are planning to use an elaborate weapon to destroy the fowl and swine way of life. After picking their best and brightest, the birds and pigs come up with a scheme to infiltrate the island, deactivate the device and return to their respective paradises intact.
Why It Rocks
- Great animation that is an improvement from the first movie.
- The story is very nice.
- Likable characters.
- The villain is pretty fun and entertaining.
- Great voice acting.
- Like the 1st movie, there are a lot of funny moments. Most notably the scenes involving Harvey.
- Like Shrek 2 and Madagascar 2, it was better received than the first and is even considered better than the first film.
- Nice ending with a touching note.
- The jokes are funny.
- It faithfully follows the first movie.
- Even though Rovio is not what they used to be, this movie shows that they can still make good movies.
- The Mighty Eagle is funny and hilarious. The most notable one is when Red shows Zeta, he starts screaming in a hilarious way
- The dialogue is clever.
- The minor subplot of Red and Silver acting romantic was very rushed and forced.
- Silver's appearance looks nothing like her game counterpart, it could have been better if she had that hooked beak and gray eye rings.
- Many characters from the first film, like Judge Peckinpah, Eva, Edward and Cyrus, or characters from the games like Bubbles, Stella, Hal, Matilda, Terence and The Blues were all very underutilized, barely mentioned, or not in the film at all so that the film can focus on new characters. Plus, despite being shown in the trailers, they are just shoehorned for only one scene and get no development time, which was unfortunately wasted and forgettable, even more than the first movie as it seemed only to exist for cameos.
- While the film is absolutely hilarious, not every joke lands and some of the groaners from the first film, like saying Red has 'resting bird face', do carry over to this one.
- While the animation has improved from the first film in terms of the visual effects, the film tends to use the same character model multiple times.
- False advertising: On the poster, the main characters (Red, Chuck, Bomb, Leonard, Sliver, Courtney, Gary and the Hatchlings) have been freezing by Zeta, but this never happens in the actual movie, probably because since Zeta's plan to destroy the both Bird and Pig island with the giant ice ball weapon.
Despite receiving mixed reviews, the film was positively welcomed from audiences and fans alike.