Space Jam: A New Legacy is a 2021 American live-action/animated science-fiction sports comedy film produced by Warner Animation Group,
SpringHill Entertainment and Proximity Media and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. The film is directed by Malcolm D. Lee, serving as a standalone sequel to Space Jam. It is the first theatrically released film to feature the Looney Tunes characters since Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003) and uses a combination of live-action, traditional hand-drawn animation, and 3D CGI effects. The film stars basketball player LeBron James as a fictionalized version of himself, along with Don Cheadle, Khris Davis, and Sonequa Martin-Green in live-action roles, while Jeff Bergman, Eric Bauza, and Zendaya headline the Looney Tunes voice cast. Set in a shared Warner Bros. virtual space multiverse, the film follows James teaming up with the Looney Tunes to win a basketball match against digitized champions to rescue his son from a rogue AI. It premiered in Los Angeles on July 12, 2021 and was released in the United States by Warner Bros. Pictures on July 16 simultaneously in theaters and through HBO Max for one month.
Superstar LeBron James and his young son, Dom, get trapped in digital space by a rogue AI. To get home safely, LeBron teams up with Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and the rest of the Looney Tunes gang for a high-stakes basketball game against the AI's digitized champions of the court -- a powered-up roster called the Goon Squad.
Why it's a Jam
- Just like the first Space Jam, the Film has a lot of heart and a heartwarming
Just like the first film, Space Jam: A New Legacy wasn't well-received by critics, who found it spoiled with excessive amount of product placement by the studio and lacking in the original film's quirky and self-referential humor. However, like the original film, the audience reactions were surprisingly more Positive. while it still gains negative reviews from Movie Review Youtubers and Toxic Fans of the original. The Film was considered by some Fans of the original to be a enjoyable and lovable sequel. It also has a A- On CinemaScore and a 79% Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes.
As of October 7, 2021, Space Jam: A New Legacy has grossed $70.5 million in the United States and Canada, and $92.3 million in international territories, totaling the worldwide gross to $162.8 million.
In the United States, exit polling showed strong commercial potential across a variety of audiences. The film attracted a diverse audience, with African Americans making up 36%, Caucasian 32%, Latino 23%, and Asian 9%, with a total of 48% being under the age of 17. Released alongside Escape Room: Tournament of Champions and limited expansion of Pig on July 16, 2021, Space Jam: A New Legacy made $13.1 million on its first day. It went on to debut at the top of the box office with $31.1 million from 3,965 theaters, the best opening weekend for a family film and the second highest for a Warner Bros. film of the COVID-19 pandemic behind Godzilla vs. Kong ($31.6 million), and besting the original ($27.5 million without inflation). Its second weekend saw the box office drop by 69% to $9.5 million due to the steep decline was blamed in-part on the film's simultaneous digital release on HBO Max. Space Jam: A New Legacy grossed another $4.2 million the following weekend.
more coming soon
- Don Cheadle was a fan of Michael A. Jordan, the original film and the Looney Tunes cartoons, so he accepted the role once it was pitched to him.
- The film includes both traditional and CG animation, making it the first film from Warner Animation Group to incorporate the former.
- Zendaya, who voiced Lola Bunny, also portrayed Rocky in Disney Channel’s 2010-2013 series Shake it Up, K.C. Cooper in Disney Channel’s 2015-2018 series K.C. Undercover', MJ from Spider-Man Home series, Anne Wheeler from The Greatest Showman and Chani from Dune series, MJ being her best known role, and likely the reason she was hired to voice Lola in the first place. Not to mention that this is her 2nd Warner Animation Group movie since Smallfoot (2018).
- As soon as the trailer dropped, comparisons to Ready Player One (the film even had the Iron Giant showing up), Ralph Breaks the Internet, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Kingdom Hearts were made.
- Space Jam: A New Legacy holds the new record of Warner Animation Group's longest film, with a 115-minute runtime, beating the previous record-holder The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part with a 107-minute runtime. In addition, the film is 27 minutes longer than the first Space Jam.
- Zendaya was called up by Ryan Coogler to voice Lola in the film, an offer she accepted because of her interest in working with Coogler and being a fan of the original film, in addition to her family's history with basketball.
- Not counting Tom & Jerry, this was the first film to use the new standard Warner Animation Group logo.
- In the second trailer, you can actually see the new Warner Animation Group logo, which is the first time, but not as the print logo, which used the old instead.
- Gabriel Iglesias was thrilled to be cast as Speedy as the mouse was a childhood favorite. When the crew asked him if he wanted to change Speedy's voice from the traditional delivery, Iglesias decided not to, saying "When people think of Speedy Gonzales, I don’t want them to think of me, I want them to think of Speedy Gonzales."
- Due to his actions coming off as borderline rapist, Pepe Le Pew has been removed from future Warner Bros. projects until further notice, starting with this movie.
- Candi Milo is the current voice of the Looney Tunes character Granny since 2017 after June Foray died.
- A popular trend on TikTok involves ripping the heads of the Lebron James action figures made for this movie from the stores for views, some of which are sold on eBay for way more than the actual figurine itself, an issue so bad that later prints of the toy have plastic over the head to prevent people from stealing it. Similarly, many Lebron James stretch toys made for the movie were sold for the sole purpose of people filming themselves filling it with water or doing other things with it to get views.
- Despite the negative reviews, it spawned several internet memes.
- While Michael Jordan does not appear in the film, he is briefly seen on the Space Jam poster shown in Al-G Rhythm's Warner 3000 pitch. Michael B. Jordan cameos as himself, appearing as a visual gag; this was teased by Don Cheadle prior to the film's release, who stated, "Michael Jordan is in the movie, but not in the way that you would expect it."
- Much like with 2017 (The Lego Batman Movie and The Lego Ninjago Movie), this was the second time to release two movies from Warner Animation Group, more than one in single year. The first movie was Tom & Jerry and the second movie was Space Jam: A New Legacy. But unlike that however, they never released with Lego-related film and have a different franchise from the cartoon shows.
- Before Don Cheadle was cast, Samuel L. Jackson, Keith David, & Kevin Hart were all considered for the role of AI-G Rhythm.
- Space Jam: A New Legacy at the Internet Movie Database https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3554046/
- Space Jam: A New Legacy on Rotten Tomatoes https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/space_jam_a_new_legacy
- Space Jam: A New Legacy on Metacritic https://www.metacritic.com/movie/space-jam-a-new-legacy
- Space Jam: A New Legacy on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/film/space-jam-a-new-legacy/
- Nell Minow's review of Space Jam: A New Legacy https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/space-jam-a-new-legacy-movie-review-2021