Snowpiercer (Korean: 설국열차; Hanja: 雪國列車; RR: Seolgungnyeolcha) is a 2013 science fiction action film written and directed by Bong Joon-ho, and based on the French graphic novel Le Transperceneige by Jacques Lob, Benjamin Legrand and Jean-Marc Rochette. A South Korean-Czech co-production, the film marks Bong's English-language debut; approximately 80% of the film was shot in English.
In this sci-fi epic, a failed global-warming experiment kills off most life on the planet. The final survivors board the SNOWPIERCER, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine. When cryptic messages incite the passengers to revolt, the train thrusts full-throttle towards disaster.
Why It Rocks
- The film's plot and themes are what make it so wonderful. It's a commentary on social class in South Korea, similar to Bong's later film Parasite. It's also sort of a wake-up call about global warming and how it affects our Earth.
- Great acting, especially from Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton.
- It manages to not be just a generic blockbuster action movie and offers something new to the audience.
- Every character develops in some way, especially Minister Mason, going from being the main commander of the guards of the Snowpiercer train to joining Curtis in the revolution.
- The visual effects and cinematography are beautiful, especially the snow.
- The Snowpiercer train's design is absolutely beautiful.
- Bong Joon-ho's gives off great direction.
- Every one of the fight scenes are well choreographed. They're also very fun to watch.
- It's also the gore and brutal violence that make these fight scenes so good.
- The pacing is great as every scene goes on for the right amount of time.
- Surprisingly funny moments throughout, especially the classroom scene.
- While the comedy is good, it, unfortunately, causes the tone to be inconsistent, which can lead to a serious scene to be ruined with a joke.
- There are some logical problems, such how the train somehow did not derail for the entire 18 years it ran.
Upon release, Snowpiercer received universal acclaim. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 95% of critics gave the film a positive rating, based on 243 reviews with an average score of 8.13/10. The website's critical consensus states, "Snowpiercer offers an audaciously ambitious action spectacle for filmgoers numb to effects-driven blockbusters." Metacritic, another review aggregator, assigned the film a weighted average score of 84 out of 100, based on 38 reviews from mainstream critics, considered to be "universal acclaim".
- Template:Rotten Tomatoes