Over the Moon is a 2020 computer-animated musical adventure comedy-drama film directed by Glen Keane and co-directed by John Kahrs, from a screenplay by Audrey Wells. The film is produced by Pearl Studio and Netflix Animation, and animated by Sony Pictures Imageworks. It stars the voices of Cathy Ang, Phillipa Soo, Ken Jeong, John Cho, Ruthie Ann Miles, Margaret Cho and Sandra Oh. It is the first international film to be directed by Keane, who serves as an animator for Walt Disney Animation Studios; and the second film produced by Pearl Studio, after DreamWorks' 2019 animated film Abominable.
An adventurous girl builds a rocket ship to meet a mythical goddess on the moon.
Why It Rocks
- The animation is beautiful like other Netflix Animation films.
- The idea of an adventurous girl builds a rocket ship to meet a mythical goddess on the moon is unique.
- Every cast performance gives amazing, such as Cathy Ang, Phillipa Soo, and of course, Ken Jeong.
- Steven Price's musical score is wonderful.
- Likable characters, such as Fei Fei, Chin, and Chang'e.
- Lots of catchy songs.
- Nice direction of Glen Keane and John Kahrs.
- Some good quotes, such as "We're the last true believers."
- The city of Lunaria had good inspirations the cover of Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side of the Moon and the paintings of Joan Miró.
- The sidekicks of Fei Fei and Chin are adorable
- The story can be a bit predictable.
- As a god, Change’e acts too much like a normal human
Over the Moon received positive reviews with praising the animation, voice acting, musical numbers, and themes, though it received criticism for its story. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 79% of 52 critic reviews are positive, and the average rating is 6.92/10. The website’s critics consensus reads: "Although many of Over the Moon's narrative ingredients will seem familiar, the film's absorbing animation offers colorful compensation.". According to Metacritic, which compiled 20 reviews and calculated a weighted average score of 58 out of 100, the film received "mixed or average reviews".