Moana (released as Vaiana in some European countries, and Oceania in Italy) is an American 2016 musical/fantasy/adventure animated film made by Disney.
The movie takes place in a Polynesian island and is about a teenager named Moana. When she was younger, she heard a story about a demigod named Maui who stole the heart of Te Fiti and then decided to visit the ocean, only to realize that somehow she could control the ocean. Throughout her life, she wanted to see what was out in the ocean and wanted to restore the heart of Te Fiti, since otherwise the islands were being destroyed. One day, she leaves her island and ends up finding Maui. However, Maui is very reluctant to go with, as he doesn't believe Moana has what it takes.
Why it Rocks Edit
- Smooth and nice-looking animation.
- The plot is quite rich and has lots of heartwarming moments.
- Great and catchy songs, especially "You're Welcome", "How Far I'll Go", and "Shiny".
- Pua is cute, and Heihei is a decent comic relief.
- Funny moments, such as when Maui throws Moana off the boat and the ocean carries her back onto the boat. There was also a scene after the credits where Tamatoa was still on his back, and says to the audience, "You know, if I were named Sebastian and I had a Jamaican accent, you'd totally help me right now!", referencing "The Little Mermaid".
- The villains were unique; the Kakamora were somewhat cute coconut pirates, and Tamatoa was a giant, shiny, colorful crab. It also has the unique twist of a villain really being a hero.
- Some moments are touching and emotional, such as when Grandma Tala dies.
- Maui’s origin story is very heartbreaking and emotional, as he was abandoned by his mean-spirited parents when he was a human baby.
- Excellent voice acting, especially from Auli'i Cravalho and Dwayne Johnson.
Bad Qualities Edit
- Pua was cute, but she didn't get very much screen time and the movie almost forgot about him until the end.
- Although the movie is about Moana and the journey she takes with Maui, it focuses a little too much on them and never shows a subplot involving Moana's family, which gives them little character development compared to the two lead characters.
- Hei Hei is annoying and pointless to the film's plot.
- Moana is called Vaiana in most European countries (with the exception of the UK), and Oceania in Italy.