🎵I like to move it, move it, she like to move it, move it, he like to move it, move it. You like to... MOVE IT!🎵
Madagascar is a 2005 American-Malagasy computer-animated comedy film produced by DreamWorks Animation and released to theaters on May 27, 2005. The film tells the story of four animals from the Central Park Zoo who unexpectedly find themselves stranded on the island of Madagascar. It features the voices of Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer, and Jada Pinkett Smith, with Sacha Baron Cohen, Cedric the Entertainer, and Andy Richter voicing secondary characters.
Despite its mixed critical reception, it was a success at the box office. The film launched a franchise with a series of films, including the sequel Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa in 2008 and another film Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted in 2012. A spin-off featuring the series' penguin characters, Penguins of Madagascar, was released on November 26, 2014.
Alex the lion is the king of the urban jungle, the main attraction at New York's Central Park Zoo. He and his best friends -- Marty the zebra, Melman the giraffe and Gloria the hippo -- have spent their whole lives in blissful captivity before an admiring public and with regular meals provided for them. Not content to leave well enough alone, Marty lets his curiosity get the better of him and makes his escape -- with the help of some prodigious penguins -- to explore the world.
Why It Rocks
- Splendid animation, especially for 2005 standards.
- The movie takes advantage of the fact that it is animated movie and has fast paced animation and comedy while still having some heart.
- The movie stays away from most cliches and instead tries to be unpredictable, as the movie keeps you guessing. The plot of Alex trying to keep his temptation of eating his friends back is also a very different and interesting plot.
- Nice voice acting.
- Likable and funny characters.
- Funny moments such as Alex thinking Marty is steak and Mort getting scared when Alex tries to be nice to him.
- The song "I Like To Move It" (originally by Reel 2 Real) is catchy.
- The Penguins are absolute scene stealers, and easily the best part of the film.
- Madagascar itself looks amazing.
- "Giraffe, Corner Pocket!"
- Some moments in the animation can look kind of creepy and slightly dated (even though it is a fairly old movie), such as when Mort is crying and his eyes look completely black.
- The story can be predictable very shortly.
- The first half makes too many dated pop culture references.
- Marty making an acronym that resembles S**t (acronym in question: Sugar Honey Iced Tea).
- Madagascar at the Internet Movie Database
- Madagascar on Rotten Tomatoes