Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs is a 2009 American computer-animated comedy drama adventure film directed by Carlos Saldanha, produced by 20th Century Animation and Blue Sky Studios. It was released on June 21, 2019. It's the third instalment in the Ice Age franchise and the sequel to Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006). The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild
Ten years previously, following the events of Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Manny and Ellie are waiting for their child with Sid getting jealous of their happiness and tries to start his own family. He finds some eggs and believes they are abandoned so he takes them with him and soon discovers they are baby T-Rexes and he's soon kidnapped by their mother.
To save Sid, Manny, Ellie, Crash and Eddie goes underground that turns out to be a place where the surviving dinosaurs refuged and they have to team up with a one-eyed crazy and adventurous weasel named Buck that lives there from years and helps them to save Sid. Meanwhile Scrat finds his female counterpart Scratte and they fight for the acorn.
Why It Rocks
- Gorgeous animation that is a huge step up from the first three films with very detailed and realistic looking backgrounds. In fact, it's even a step up from previous Blue Sky Studios films.
- Amazing voice acting as always.
- A great score by John Powell.
- The characters from the previous films are still lovable.
- The plot is awesome as it continues the film franchise well.
- The humor is hilarious.
- All the new characters are fun and often steal the show, especially Buck.
- It discusses the themes of neglect, abandonment, happiness and to be happy with what you are.
- Scrat and Scratte are an hilarious couple, and they're known for the scene of the Tango.
- The idea of having a Dinosaur World underground is a brilliant plot for an Ice Age movie.
- Manny has a new child after losing his old family making his promise work.
- Sid gets some serious character development, as he will do anything to protect his kids and has to show people that he's good in something.
- It has also some cool songs.
- Momma T-Rex is a sympathetic false antagonist who isn't truly evil.
- Buck is a relatable and funny character.
- Rudy is a scary and well written villain.
- Crash and Eddie have a bigger role in this film.
- At the end of the credits, Scrat's acorn pops out which is hilarious since he lost it again.
- Scratte can be annoying and evil.
- Buck was mean towards the Herd in their first encounter.
- Momma T-Rex is a bit mean when she kidnaps Sid.
- However she was a bit justified since Sid took her kids even though he didn't know they still had a mother.
- She gets attached to Sid later though.
- Sid never had a true interaction with Buck in the film.
- The movie never explains how the dinosaurs survived for all those ages underground.
- This film was originally going to be the conclusion of the franchise, so while its sequel was okay the second one feels too much like a cashgrab made to sell their product.
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs was positively received by fans, considering it a worthy addition to the franchise.