Happy Feet is a 2006 Australian-American computer-animated musical drama comedy film directed, produced, and co-written by George Miller. It stars Elijah Wood, Robin Williams, Brittany Murphy, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Hugo Weaving, and E.G. Daily.
Though primarily an animated film, the film does incorporate motion capture of live action humans in certain scenes. The film was simultaneously released in both conventional theatres and in IMAX 2D format. The studio had hinted that a future IMAX 3D release was a possibility. However, the film's production company, was on too tight a budget to release Happy Feet in IMAX digital 3D.
Happy Feet was positively welcomed from audience and film critics alike with praising for its animation, story, characters, voice cast performance, humor, soundtrack, heart and message. It won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, a first for Warner Bros.
Mumble, a young emperor penguin, lives in Antarctica. Like others of his kind, he needs to be able to sing to attract a mate, but he has a terrible voice. Instead, Mumble must express himself, and lure a female through his amazing talent for tap-dancing.
Why It Rocks
- Beautiful visuals and breathtaking animation.
- The idea of a tap-dancing penguin is very interesting.
- Mumble is a relatable and well written protagonist.
- The history is well done
- The humor is pretty funny
- Impressive soundtrack with songs like Kiss/Heartbreak Hotel, Somebody To Love, and Boogie Wonderland.
- Great characters, like Gloria, Ramon and Lovelace.
- It tackles the topic of social discrimination, since Mumble is a tap-dancing penguin who can't sing, he's an outcast and eventually gets exiled from Emperor Land.
- Top-notch voice acting, especially those of Elijah Wood, Robin Williams and Brittany Murphy.
- Strong and well-delivered messages.
- Baby Mumble is so cute.
- It's one of Robin Williams's best movies.
- Noah is an annoying character
The film opened at #1 in the United States on its first weekend of release November 17th to 19th grossing $41.6 million and beating Casino Royale for the top spot.
Happy Feet received generally positive reviews from critics. On review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 75% "Certified Fresh" score based on 161 reviews, with an average rating of 6.9/10. The site's consensus was "Visually dazzling, with a thoughtful storyline and catchy musical numbers, Happy Feet marks a successful animated debut from the makers of Babe."